Winter Storm Information

Posted on January 18th, 2019

The Northeast is preparing for Winter Storm Harper this weekend, and an Arctic blast with freezing temperatures on Monday.

All customers should take the following steps this weekend:

  • Keep a path to your tank clear – and remember, fuel delivery trucks are TWICE as wide as cars, so make sure your driveway is cleared to a width of 12 feet.
  • Check your vents for damage or blockage caused by drifting snow – clearing these areas will help reduce the possibility of carbon monoxide intrusion.
  • If possible, place a brightly colored marker on, or at your tank for improved visibility.

Keep in mind that during and after a winter storm, roads may be challenging to navigate and possibly inaccessible for a delivery.

Power Loss:

Be prepared for power outages

  • Have a list of instructions on how to turn off electricity, heat, and water. Review suggested preparations for weather hazards and natural disasters with your utility suppliers. Advise them of any special needs you may have.
  • Create an emergency preparedness plan and review it regularly with your family in order to keep them safe during a potential disaster.

During a power outage

  • Tune in on a battery-powered radio for instructions from local authorities on the appropriate course of action to take.
  • Turn off all the lights and appliances on your property that were operating before the outage occurred (with the exception of at least one light—to help signal when the power returns). This will reduce any type of power surge from occurring once the electricity returns.

Generator Safety:

  • Never use a portable generator (gasoline, diesel, or propane) indoors or in an enclosed area such as a basement, garage, shed, or tent. Improper use of a generator can result in carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
  • Only use appliances indoors that are designed and approved for indoor use.
  • Carbon monoxide is odorless, which is why it is important for all homes to have carbon monoxide detectors installed.

After the Storm:

  • When it is safe to do so, check your home and heating equipment for visible structural damage. Do not attempt any repairs. Please contact us immediately if you believe your equipment needs attention or repair.
  • If you smell gas, be sure to extinguish all smoking materials and open flames. Exit the building immediately and call 911. Do not operate electrical switches, appliances, telephones, or cell phones on-site because these can cause a spark that can ignite an explosion.

The comfort and safety of our customers is our top priority. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.